Thursday 14 July 2011

30 Day Asexuality Challenge; Day 9

(I'm going to have not internet access for the next few days, so the next update will cover all the days in between now and when I get the internet back.)



9. What does being asexual mean to you?
To me, being asexual means not understanding some things my friends (or society at large) take for granted. It means being invisible to many people. It means not fitting in, and knowing I never really will. It means that I know that that old adage about ‘words never hurting’ is total bullshit. It means expecting that I will need to explain what my orientation is before I come out, because I cannot expect that those whom I’m coming out to will know what I’m talking about.

It also means having a community of people who know what I’m going though, who can relate to the things I feel. It means being able to say “this is what I want, and this is what I don’t”. It means having some resources, it means having a place to belong, it means having supportive friends and people whom I’m out to. It means not feeling broken, it means having relationships that work for me instead of what society thinks should work.

Being asexual means being me.

No comments:

Post a Comment