Thursday 7 July 2011

The 30 Day Asexuality Challenge: Day One

Right, so I'm taking part in the 30 Day Asexuality Challenge, and thus will be posting responses to that for the next 30 days, in addition to any other posts I make.

1:What is your romantic/sexual orientation?
Asexual. All the time.
Aromantic. Mostly.

I say mostly, because while I don’t actually want to be in the classic sexual romantic relationship (exclusivity/kissing/sex/co-dependency/etc), I still want some of the things that go with it (human companionship, cuddles, and emotional intimacy mostly, with a side of someone to fall asleep on* sometimes.)**

If every bit of a romantic sexual relationship was represented by a letter, I would only want very few of them, instead of the expected 26.

But it’s easier to say I am aromantic (in this example wanting no letters), and then explain to those who I want to tell that actually I do want x, and y (outside the context in which most people get them.), but not any other letter, than it is to spend 5+ hours telling everyone that I do not want a or b or c or d or e or..

So yeah. I’m an asexual aromantic, and that’s what I identify with.

*What can I say? Listening to someone breathe and to someone’s heartbeat is a fantastic way to fall asleep.

**All of which I'm extremely lucky to be able to get from friends right now. In the future, I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment